Friday, January 30, 2009

U-Blog 1

I enjoyed this week's readings, rather surprisingly.

The first thing that struck me about Adult Learning and the Internet was that the article was ten years old. The principles of Internet novices needing to acquire new motor and perceptual skills remain true. However, the "skillful Internet user" now needs to navigate social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter; employ blogs as a source of news and social networking; find music, music, movies, and books legally and in high-definition; is now connecting through high-speed or Wi-Fi rather than dial-up. This article is dated and is of limited use.

That being said, I did find it useful in explaining exactly how those new to the Internet and computing in general picked up the necessary skills. They come intuitively to me, and I find it hard to explain how I do things to those who are not as intuitive.

In an example of the advent of social networking, I tweeted that I found this article interesting. One of my followers, a professor, replied that this was his area of study. I did some additional research and found the current website of the article's author, which I retwittered to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment